Assuming only modest knowledge of undergraduate level math, Invitation
to the Mathematics
of Fermat-Wiles presents diverse concepts required to comprehend Wiles' extraordinary proof. Furthermore, it places these concepts in their historical context.
This book can be used in introduction to mathematics theories courses and in special topics courses on Fermat's last theorem. It contains themes suitable for development by students as an introduction to personal research as well as numerous exercises and problems. However, the book will also appeal to the inquiring and mathematically informed reader intrigued by the unraveling of this fascinating puzzle.
* Rigorously presents the concepts required to understand Wiles' proof, assuming only modest undergraduate level math
* Sets the math in its historical context
* Contains several themes that could be further developed by student research and numerous exercises and problems
* Written by Yves Hellegouarch, who himself made an important contribution to the proof of Fermat's last theorem
* Written by Yves Hellegouarch, who himself made an important contribution to the proof of Fermat's last theorem. --Ce texte fait référence à l'édition Relié.